The Carolina Cup Racing Association (CCRA), Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation first organized in 1963 by Mrs. Marion duPont Scott. The purpose of the association is to manage the Springdale Race Course property as a training center for race horses and as a staging ground for race meets, including the Carolina Cup and the Colonial Cup races. Members of the association have no equity interest, serve with no compensation and do not share in any profits from the corporation. The profits, if any, are donated to the Kershaw County Memorial Hospital. Since inception the CCRA has given significant donations to the local hospital.
Mrs. Scott acquired the Springdale race course and adjacent acreage in 1953 from Mrs. Ambrose Clark of Aiken, SC. Mrs. Scott has been hailed by many as “The Great Lady of Steeplechasing” in America. Her intrepid horse“ Battleship”, by Man’O War, won the English Grand National at Aintree in 1938. Her Montpelier racing stable won over 50 stake races, over fences and on the flat and won over $5 million in purses. The Colonial Cup, starting in 1970, was Mrs. Scott’s idea and it became the first international steeplechase run in the US with a purse of $100,000.
Upon Mrs. Scott’s passing in 1983, she gifted the Springdale race course and adjacent properties to the state of South Carolina. The facility remained under the management of the CCRA, Inc.
Beneficiary: Kershaw County Memorial Hospital has received significant donations from the CCRA.
Executive Director: Toby Edwards
Director Racing Operations & Facilities: Jeff Teter
Carolina Cup Racing Association Board of Directors
- Mr. John L. Cushman, Chairman
- Mr. Walter Long, Vice Chair
- Mr.William B. Cox, Jr., Secretary/Treasurer
- Mr. Julian H. Burns, MG, USA
- Mrs. Hope H. Cooper
- Mrs. Kate Dalton
- Mr. Michael DeBenedetti
- Mayor, Alfred Mae Drakeford
- The Honorable Laurie Slade Funderburk
- Mr. Tom S. Mullikin
- Mr. Rick Reames III
- Mr. Jonathan E. Sheppard
- Mrs. Laura T. Shull
- Mr. R. Don Terrell
- Mr. Richard Valentine